Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder and file permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tclinch

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2002
US
I have the following situation on a Windows 2000 server:

1. User1 is a member of Group1 (2 people) and Group2 (5 people) and not a member of any admin groups

2. Folder Structure:
Folder1 (Group1 has full perm and Group2 has list folder contents)
Subfolder1 (same permission as Parent)
Subfolder2 (same permission as Parent)

3. Need: I want User1 to copy a file that is located in Subfolder1 to subfolder2 and add a new user with modify permissions so they can change the document. The reason we copy the file is because the Subfolder1 contains original versions and user1 will copy the original over and modify the document before user1 changes permissions for the new editor.

4. Problem: When I try the above user1 cannot change the permissions on the file. I assume it has something to do with admin rights.

Go into the advanced options on the Security tab, then view the permissions for group1. (You can hit "view" to view each individual permisson on the folder/file) See if the Change perimisson check box is checked.

Good luck.

Let me know how it goes

For simplicity sake I gave group1 Full Control over the folder. When User1 saves a doc to Folder1 it saves no problem. When User1 checks the security of the doc it says "You only have permission to view the current security information on xxxx" and does not allow user1 to change security on the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back