Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

folder access deniedbbb 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coondog

Technical User
Aug 22, 2002
US
I have a problem that surfaced this week. We are having
problems accessing one folder on a Win2000 active
directory server. If you view the permissions from the
server console, they look correct and I am able to access
this folder and its files. However, if you try to access
this folder from any workstation, I am denied access.
This happens even when I am logged on as administrator at
the workstation.
Thanks for any help,
Rob

when you say administrator, is that domain administrator, or local administrator?
What are the permissions on the security tab?

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Have you checked your share permissions for that folder? Remember, your share permissions control access via the network, not when logged on locally. Make sure the user(s)/group(s) you want to have access across the network are granted permission.

Tim

Tim Cambridge
A+, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE (W2K)

The administrator account I am logging on with is a member of: Administrators (built-in), Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, Group Policy Creator and Schema Admins. I can remember checking the permissions for the folder and administrators and a specific group were listed.
I will have to double check to make sure about the sharing possibly having got turned off. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to terminal sevice into the server in question, since it has a private ip address. I can only get to the second server which has a public ip. From the public ip server, I can see the folder in question, but am denied access to it.
Thanks to both of you for replying.
Rob

You can use computer manager to check the permissions of the shared folders on a remote system, provided that you have admin rights on that system.

Connect to the other computer and navigate to:
System Tools ==> Shared Folders ==> Shares

You can then view/change the properties for each share on that system.

Good Luck!

Tim Cambridge
A+, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE (W2K)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back