Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

focus on reports writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwa6

Programmer
Sep 16, 2002
US
Im am pondering this.

I have a chance to move to a new employer. The $ is about the same. They are going to EPIC ( health care) and the demand for reports writing is dire it seems. I have some CR experience. I have done alot of pl\sql as well. I love writing sql( weird I know) -- its the scotch. My question is this then.
Focusing on 1 technology-vendor for the next few years - and say the reports generation is going to go flat at some point - Ill be mid 50s and lose the oracle skills.
Can one suppose that as a consultant - will there be enough work ( traveling) to be marketable having CR skills and some data analysis and maybe more customer interaction time under my belt.?

I understand BO is the reporting tool thats hot right now. But, being 'older' and having lost the those pgming skills by becoming a technical user. I have to admit Im in a quandary about marketability after a few years of reports.

thoughts out there in the ether?

jim

Couple of things:

1. Epic has a module called Clarity which extracts data from the Cache database into files that are uploaded into an oracle reporting server. Reports are typically run from this. As it is oracle, you can use your reporting tool of choice (there are lots- CR, etc.) to create your own reports. You can also build your own sql scripts, but I'd imagine that this would be trickier.

2. If you're planning on moving to or staying in health care IS, Epic is a very good vendor to be familiar with. They have a good support staff and a product that is continually growing in functionality and popularity.

Good luck!

EPIC is also (AFAIK) part of the Cegedim group of companies (if it is the same EPIC - I think so) which may bring many more opportunities.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

And as long as there is business data of any kind, there will be a need for someone to create reports. PLus health care is a big field and experience in that area will open up lots of opportunities to do other things such as business analyst postions.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back