Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FMSO ROLES 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvashisht

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2003
IN
Hi,
I have two domain controllers of windows 2000 & distribute the roles on both. Now my primary servers hard disk goes crash.what i have to do. Can I seize the roles of down domain controller if yes pls tell me the order of seizing the roles.The down server was having roles of RID, PDC emulator, Infrastucture master & global catalog.
After that I want to up the original domain controller with the same name as it was previously.

Regds,
Kaushal Vashisht
I Am from INDIA. LAND teach the world about Mathamatics & started Universities to educate the world.

if you distribute the roles, why is the up server only the schema master?
you can do them pretty much in any order. Just go to the 2 AD management and change the server names. Then restart the live server. Let it settle and wait 15 minutes. Then delete the downed server from AD Users and Computers. Everywhere. And in DNS. Everywhere.

Then install the new server with the old name.

Sorry, but almost all of that is incorrect. Yes, you can seize them in any order. However, you cannot use the GUI tools to seize the roles. You have to use ntdsutil. Rebooting the server you seize the roles to is not necessary.

Finally, deleting the dead server's computer account from AD will not remove it from the directory. You need to do a metadata cleanup.

See

If the original FSMO holder fails, you arent going to be transfering the roles. You have to seize.

FYI, under no circumstances (unless your goal is to totally destroy things) should you rename the DC as suggested above.

If the failing DC is still online then you shoudl of course TRY to transfer the roles. This will most likely fail at which time it will be necessary to do the siezure.

The referenced link above is for my FAQ on the subject which does give a step by step breakdown and also references the MSKB articles that mlichstein has correctly pointed out.

Another thing to check out that has not been mentioned is that if you had DNS or DHCP running on the failed server you will need to set those up on the second DC.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Yeah, sorry Mark - I did mean to shout about the FAQ rather than just post it but time didn't allow. That is a very fine FAQ to say the least. Have a star on me for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back