Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Stuck in Drive Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoja

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
I have a floppy disk stuck in the Floppy Drive Module. Any ideas how to get it out without ruining the drive?

Careful use of a flat screwdriver with a gentle hand comes to mind.

Pascal.

If pmonett's idea doesn't solve it for you, then I'd suggest taking the drive out of the PC. Depending upon the make of the drive, quite often the top cover can be eased off - a small screwdriver under the side lugs may release this, or maybe it's held on with a couple of small screws. You might now be able to see what is causing the lack of normal ejection. Often it's the metallic protective sliding cover on the disk itself which may have become bent and is fouling on some part of the mechanism. Or maybe the disk label has come partly unstuck and has curled up into the drive's protective flap.

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Agreed, I've always had success using a butter knife. Please do make sure you unplug the power connector from the drive first though ;)

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I have had success with using a small needle-nose plier and trying to lift the floppy upward and then out.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Also, you can take the floppy drive out, take off the front cover real easy and even take off the metal top to get at the floppy.
If you do all that try and see what caused it to stick in the first place. If it was other than a piece of the label then it may require repair or replacement.
Of course, these days a lot of people simply do without and use a usb thumb drive, even as a boot device, but i still like using the floppy.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks. All good suggestions. Since it was a module I could pop it out easily. I know it was the metal on the floppy since the person who inserted it said it was bent. My first instict was to take it apart but was worried about the warranty. Called Dell and they are sending me a replacement. No questions asked.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back