Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Drive won't read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kottenkandy41

Programmer
Jul 9, 2003
US
The floppy drive won't read in windows me .. ie. windows explorer or run but will read floppy drive when booting from a floppy ie. windows startup disk.

The cables and power is on correctly. Switched them around to make sure, and switched them back.

Anybody have any ideas?

It is all disk. It hard locks the computer when trying to read from any floppy disk, and I have to power off and on the computer again.

where is the drive situated on the floppy cable? or is there only the one connection?
also the easiest way to know if the cable is on backwards is when u boot, the power light will come on and stay on.

The floppy drive is on the same cable as the old 51/4 floppy drive. The light comes on at boot goes off and does not come on again even when inserting a disk it wont come on and read any disk in windows but will in dos mode.

try disconnecting that old 5 1/4 drive. If still no go, try a new floppy cable and make sure you have the floppy drive connected to the connector after the twist in the cable (should be at the very end)

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have tried 4 other floppy drives and they all do the same thing. I thought it might of been a bad floopy drive, but they all do it. Also, it is connected after the twist at the end. Thanks so much for all your help. I will try another cable, maybe that is the problem.

has any one else used the computer, i suppose it's possible someone messed around in device manager and disabled the floppy drive.

you can boot up from the floppy right? Then it isn't hardware. Have you got a virus ascanner configured to scan floppies on access?

if it was disabled in device manager, the drive wouldnt show up in My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back