Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy drive making a "clicking" noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohuett

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
US
I'm having a problem w/my floppy drive.

* when I insert a disk ...you just hear loud clicking (never did this before)

* my hard drive is NOT able to read any of my other disks which already have info SAVED on them. I'm getting a msg. from windows stating that the disks are NOT FORMATTED.. (but they are) then it proceeds to say "Unable to FORMATT"

Any ideas?

Sounds like that may be that metal casing that goes over the floppy making the noise. Get a flashlight and a paper clip and check and see. Just make sure you don't loose the paper clip in the drive. That sucks.

That would be causing that error too.

Computers are like an array of randoms, ya never know what ya gonna get!!!

Normally when floppy drives go kaputt it isn't worth playing about to fix them - it's usually best (and cheap) to replace them.

Good luck!!

"Windows [n.]
A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back