Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Drive Install...Bad Floppy Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
I have a PC that didn't have an internal floppy drive when it was bought but now I want it to have one so I went to Best Buy and bought one (Belkin). The PC's BIOS shows the floppy drive as enabled and the drive shows in My Computer but...I've tried flipping the cables and I either get a solid light on the drive or no drive at all. I though that maybe the cable was bad so I went to get another. Same thing. Could it be the the drive is bad?

possible bad drive check if the cables are not upside down if so goswitch around check it if not the take it back to best buy my recomendation is buy parts from a computer specialty store compusa or simalar they treat computer components better

The PC's BIOS shows the floppy drive as enabled and the drive shows in My Computer but. . .

So what is the problem? What happens when you try to read a disk? Can you copy a file to the floppy, and if so can you read it again? Any noise from the drive during any of this?

I've tried flipping the cables and I either get a solid light on the drive or no drive at all.

Solid light indicates that the cable is upside down, so the other way is the correct way. Also indicates that you are getting power to the drive, so that is not an issue.

Check the cable on both ends, controller (motherboard) and drive. Make sure none of the pins are bent over.

Look in device manager and see if it is disabled there. What OS are you running?

mhkwood: When I put a floppy into the drive, there's no light and immediately after, I recieve, "Please insert a disk into drive A:". No noise, nothing...

Mainegeek: I'm running Windows XP. Device Manager sees it there as enable.

Again, I've tried a different cable and will return this drive and get another. Thx for the replies

Remove it from device manager, restart and let it redetect it.

Sounds like your power is OK, cable is OK as you have replaced. I would try removing from device manager and restarting, although I don't really think that will help. I have been surprised before.

If that doesn't work, either the drive or the controller is bad. If you have another computer that you can connect the drive to, try that first. If it works there, you have a controller problem. If not, I would say you have a bad drive. Return it. Exchange for another, avoid Belkin if at all possible. Personally haven't had good luck with anything Belkin, although I haven't tried a floppy.

At this point, my guess would be that you will find you have a bad floppy drive.

Alas, the cable was bad...I purchased another cable and presto! That did the trick. I tell folks all the time that just because something is "brand new", that doesn't mean that something can't be wrong with it.

The simple things...sigh.

Thanks to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back