Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Disk too small for a 1.4mb file ?? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesNash

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2003
AU
Hi all,

Could someone please tell me how to fit a 1.40mb file on a 1.44mb floppy disk which shows available space of 1.38mb after i format it.. what the? I need to fit this file on a floppy in it's natural state, meaning no compression, as it will be used for a server scsi driver on startup...

thanks in advance..

James.

have you tried another floppy?
this one could be damaged so you can format it on only 1.38MB

greets,
Marko 9A6NCM

How about formatting the disk with DMF. After reading your post, I download a trial program that allowed me to format a floppy to 1.63mb.

Let us know your results!

X

For a 1.44mb 3.5" floppy, after format you would have:
1,457,664 bytes free or 1.38 MB.

You probably will find that the format program identified questionable sectors. You might format again and watch at the end for available space and bad space.
A good floppy will show available as Bill says. If it shows less there is something wrong with it or it was formatted with system files.
You could also look on the web for "fdformat" utility that will allow all sorts of other sizes by modifying sector/track or directory entries.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You should also check the source. You might find all sorts of unneeded junk: Readme files, license.txt, driver versions for Win3.1, Win95, Win98, etc....
Delete all the junk and get the image size down.

Hey all, thanks for all the great info,... I used winimage and formatted the floppy to 1.68mb and it worked like a charm...

Thanks again and keep up the good work,
James.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back