Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

floppy disk problem with bios update on a pent 4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddy0155

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
have downloaded 4 different bios updates for a gateway computer over the past 9 months. each time is download the file to cabs and copy to a floppy as per instructions.when i try to boot from the floppy i get "non-system disk or disk error' my device manager tells me the floppy disk works just fine and when system is running any floppy will work. i just cant boot from a floppy.

update is for teh IntelMV85010A{lexington} motherboard

You need to install system files to make floppy bootable. If you're running XP, put floppy in drive, right click on A: icon in my computer, choose format. This includes an option to make an MS-DOS bootable disk. If you're running 98, type sys A: from a dos box. Boot disks available from Copy your bios upgrade files to the disk as well - follow instructions from website exactly. You should then ne able to boot with floppy and perform the upgrade (again, follow instructions to the letter. Any messages telling you the upgrade isn't for your bios, and abort immediately - you can kill a mobo with the wrong file).

happy ending...........

thanks for your suggestions wolluf.i made a xp startup disk and THEN copied the bios upgrade files. it installed just fine and i learned about bootable floppy disks.

the best part was i avoided having to call Gateway tech support.their answer last time i called them was "oh you dont need that anyway.'

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back