Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy disk keeps saying write protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
GB
I have a Compaq laptop model Armada 7350MT with removable floppy disk drive.

When I insert any floppy disk, and attempt to write to it, I am given a write protect error (even though floppy is set to write). The same floppy works correctly on my Desktop PC.

I am told that the disk drive may need cleaning so I have tried a disk drive cleaner. This sadly has not worked.

Any ideas please?

Assuming you can READ the disk ok, it's not likely to be a cleaning issue... Could be a connection fault between the detachable drive and the laptop, or maybe an internal cable problem to the mobo. Check the BIOS as sometimes there's an option for floppy drive to be set to read-only.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Also check the port you're conecting the drive to. make sure it's cleen and getting a good connection with plug. that causes problems too.

MercuriusX

having the same problem, everything should be connected fine, have had this problem for awhile, it cannot even format floppies, if you ever got a answer, please share with me.

-thanks in advance

umm, mine isnt a compaq, it's worked fine for a couple years, was ordered off the net, and worked great from 1999 till now. Sorry for not posting this information before.

4 possibilities, sensor bad on floppy, controller bad on floppy, controller bad on M/B or FDC, or cable bad. Try reseating the cable as first step. If still failing, replace the floppy. Should fix it. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I am experiencing the same issue only it chooses the error code on the whim of how it seems to feel at the moment. I experience the "Can't write to disk", Can't read disk in A:", "floppy not formatted", "Bad disk sectors", etc. etc.

I have installed a patch for the controller which worked great for a couple days, then I just said not worth it and replaced the drive. It also worked splendidly for a few days and decided it preferred being whimsical to stable. Sooo, I am exactly where I began.
I have examined many different bios settings and nothing has helped thus far. Removing, reinstalling the drive as well as controller, etc.

Obviously I am overlooking something substantial. Well...either that or it is certainly demon possessed. hmmm.... lol :eek:)
If ANYONE knows a fix, patch, setting, cleaner, bios update-flash etc. that will exorcise that whimsical demon I would be most grateful! :eek:)

Best Regards, Heidi aka Chrosby

Since it worked for several days it appears that the drive and controller are probably ok. Kind of gives the indications of cable contacts corroded. Try unplugging both ends and reseating several times and retry. sometimes just wiggling them will break thru then they gunk up again. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back