Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floppy Disk Access - File Open WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWayne2k

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
I have several DELL computers (WIN XP) that are doing the following:
A user will save/open a WP document (we are using WP11) from a floppy disk the document will open fine, they are able so save to the disk, retrieve any doc, and close the doc. Then they open try to open another document from the shared drives on the network, (they go up to file open) and press the pull-down menu, and for some reason the computer checks to see if there is a floppy disk (makes the noise that it's trying to access the A drive)after a while it give you the list of drives that you can browse on. I really wouldn't mind it did that, but the thing is that it takes an awful long time to display the other drives. The only thing I've been able to do is remove the floppy disk from the device manager, and restart the computer. Gets rid of the problem, but when a user opens another file from a floppy same things happens all over. Anyone seen this before? Thanks for your time.

I'm seeing it on a Dell PC with XP SP2 with a slight twist.

Whenever he opens QP, if there is a file that was saved to the a: drive on the most recently opened, QP searches the floppy for about 30 secs (with no floppy inserted).

It's driving the poor guy nuts.

Is there some reg hack to kill off the most recently opened?

I am experiencing the same issue with WP11, but on Compaq workstations. Leads me to think there is either a Windows system setting that can be changed, or a setting in WordPerfect.

Can anyone shed some light as to how to fix this?

This can be avoided by use of a macro or clicking a custom folder on the toolbar. I like to open Explore and drag my default folder to the toolbar. This makes opening it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back