Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flickering LCD Monitor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rastaIT34

Technical User
Sep 9, 2009
US
I have a 22 inch Samsung monitor that's about 3+ years old...in great looking condition.

Recently it just started doing this flickering thing when I wake or start the computer up. It just flickers for about 30 seconds then stops and then just stays on and is fine.

> Is it on its way out??

My normal practice is to put my computer to sleep and just leave the monitor on. It then goes into a sleep mode i think.

What I've done to troubleshoot so far:

> first I thought it was the video card, maybe worked itself loose. so i unplugged the monitor from the computer in attempts to re-seat the card. But immediately when the monitor was unplugged, it started flickering again.

So by process of elimination it seems the issue has nothing to do with the video card or the CPU. What then?

I've gone through like 4 Samsung monitors. and they all die in like 3-4 years. I'm told they are the best quality... But their life span are so short!

I really am tired of buying new monitors...

First, try the monitor with another PC if possible.

There are replacement parts available ( for items like the CCFL backlight and inverter.

Are you using a surge protected outlet for your monitor? Have you measured the voltage at the outlet? If your monitors are failing regularly I would recommend checking the quality of power at the outlet, or using a UPS with the monitor.

Tony

Users helping Users...

wahnula said:
If your monitors are failing regularly
I kinda doubt he's got monitors failing regularly. He said he's had the same monitor for 3+ years. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

i tried the monitor with another PC, still same issue...

yes i'm using a surge protector,

no i havent measured the voltage. i have moved around too.

i just called samsung, i explained everything and they told me i should have regularly been turning the monitor off... well guess i'm out another freakin monitor...

and they told me i should have regularly been turning the monitor off.

That's strange. In the past oh at least 6-7 years, I've not read or heard anywhere that you needed to worry about turning ANY monitors off anymore, b/c of the auto-sleep/off modes built-in to them.

They could have just easily said, well, electronics do fail from time to time. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Agreed. I have a number of LCD monitors that I haven't turned off except for moving them in years. I just let the PC put the monitor to sleep. I did the same thing with CRTs too. It's been many, many years since I bothered powering anything off. With low power sleep/suspend modes available now, there's not much need unless you don't use your computer for long periods of time.

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Tony had suggested one site, google for "fix your lcd monitor" to find others where you can find parts to repair the problem when it gets worse.
Your're dealing with a fluorescent bulb similar to the ones at the house that start flickering until they die.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back