Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexgrid in VB.NET 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasicBoy

Programmer
Feb 22, 2008
ZA
I have been using the flexgrid control in VB6 and editing data by placing another control like a text box over the relevant cell, which is quite easy.
Now that I am trying to convert to VB.NET, I find that the flexgrid COM object does not easily fit into the .NET framework.
I do not wish to go over to the datagrid, but maybe I should.
I need to know whether I can fully use the same old procedure (including editing with another control)in VB.NET with a flexgrid control or whether there is another type of flexgrid which fits into the .NET framework.
Secondly I need some advice whether I can use the datagrid in the same way I used the flexgrid before.
Thanks - I am a newbie to .NET and may never become a fan.

I would say: ‘bite the bullet’ and convert to VB.NETs ‘native’ ways and controls. You may find out that it is not so bad. You may even like it. Give it a go with DataGridView, very nice grid.

I know the pains. I write mostly in VB 6, and venture occasionally into VB.NET world and I found a lot of interesting ‘stuff’ I wish I would have in VB 6. At the beginning I managed to have my app in VB.NET connect to Oracle by ADODB, and it worked. But ADO.NET is so much better and easier, IMHO.

You may still launch any application from DOS prompt, but… do you do it that way? :)

I know people who would still prefer to program in COBOL [banghead]

Have fun.

---- Andy

Thanks Andy.
Can I ask two questions?
1. There is a vertical blank band on the leftmost side of the datagridview. Why is it there and how can I hide it?
2. If I enter a cell and change it there, which event do I use to update the data?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back