Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash's maximum capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiej

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
Hi,

I want to know specifically can flash generate dynamic pages grabbing data from databases to build it different scenes?

Also, what is Generator?

thanks.

building dynamic content with information from a database is what flash does best. this is where flash comes into its own.

generator?

You probably weren't born then!

It was used to dynamically load stuff before MX!

Regards,

cubalibre2.gif

hi,

thanks for the replies, but can it talk direct to a database? Or is it always a case of using a middle piece of software like asp, php etc?

there are some components now that will allow direct communication with some databases (access springs to mind)but by and large its php,cfc, asp. but with flash remoting (now for php and not just cold fusion) it honestly couldnt be simpler.

BillWatson and OldNewbie,

If you actually read this thread in ist's entirety, I will pass a golden nugget at the end. As I am willing to work with anyone on turning this black art into a remoting for dummies episode.

I agree that the MX handler is functional for accessing data from a database, but what is lacking are examples for the novice to ColdFusion templates, and server side script. I have downloaded every sample I could find on the net, and managed to make them all work.

What is still confusing is how the actual conection is made. Basically, with three lines of remoting specific MX action script, you have an interface to the server. Then using Dreamweaver to create the coldfusion template or "component" (how did Dreamweaver get into this?) you can just modify an existing ColdFusion remoting template to key it to your Flash file and the database source on the other side (Access or any other SQL/ODBC compliant package).

Note that different samples can be found in the Macromedia Flash and ColdFusion areas. Kinda like a view from both sides of the story.

For the best example see the "macromedia.com/devnet/mx/noteboard" example. I went through each page and pasted it into a Word doc so I could read it effectively. A printable version would have been nice. New support group rule: If your tech note is more than a page, make it printable.

Also for the doctoral thesis version of how it works, see: " I also printed this one out for sleepy time reading. I was lost on the 7th or so page. When you read it, and say to yourself I thougt I already read this, you would be correct, as several parts are repeated, which adds to the confusion.

It appears as though you actually only have to refer to the CFC template once in the Flash code, and then use some common query terms to send/receive the data.

The coldfusion thingy stumped me for a while, when I was trying to figure out why I had to go into Dreaweaver to create a CFC function. Well that's Macromedia for you. Products beget products, although I do like the products, I would largely prefer a unitized product, that allowed me to create a usable thingy w/o learning 3 apps. simulateneuously.

Like Stiej, I just want to talk to a database, and would greatly appreciate a simpified template that allows me to just change the name of the CFC file and some pointers, and off I go!

Although I have been through the process several times, I still lack a thorough understanding of what makes it tick. What actually links the SWF & CFC. What do the terms mean, how are they interpreted, and how does the CFC talk to the Database? It is a little cryptic. I'd love just a simple one page diagram that shows all the code in the SWF, CFC, and Dbase cell names, and then points to the key terms that make the link actually happen. Honestly, if I understood it clearly, I think I could create that diagram and prevent everyone from going through the digging I've done over the last 2 months trying to figure it out.

As one respondent on the Macromedia remoting forum said: "It is Rocket Science and it stinks". All that aside, anybody seen the mystical diagram I elude to? I will start the Word doc and drawing, and I'll pass it on to anyone who thinks himself a guru that can make it into something more useful. Then we can make a Macromedia Flash remoting FAQ out of it. Any takers?

love to join you but i dont have cold fusion and only just got into remoting in a practical way when those nice people at source forge brought out a php version.

there is an excellent introductory article on php/flash remoting at

while i am still finding my feet with this i have visions of soon handling and modifying complex objects with ease.
why not try the actionscript tutorial (30 mins or so to read) and perhaps seeing the topic from a different perspective will deepen your insight as to how the nuts and bolts go together.

billwatson,

BTW, Cold fusion local-host is free when you buy MX Studio. I don't really know how much that limits me as I don't want to post to the web, I just want to talk to my LAN databases.

What's the drawback to teh freebie version compared to using the PHP?

Jim

i dont really know but id be surprised if there were major differences.

i just have a thing about open source software php/mySQL. free, powerfull, robust, and more and more people are uing it, enhancing portability.

i even use an apache server on my home pc running php and mysql and all 3 combined take less than 15MB. a free download and self installling allowing my to test serve scripts without the need to be constantly FTP'ing.

when you consider macromedia want upwards of $6000 for communiction server it makes you think.

dont get me wrong i love flash mx and use dreamweaver mx a lot. these two tools are indispensible to me. but would i use them as much if i didnt have tie ins to open source? i doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back