Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flashing Network Locked Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssga

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
ZA
I was given a conexant 56k modem but i think its network locked because when a dial up to my ISP it works fine and then hang up at the authentication my ols 33,6 modem dials up and connects to my ISP with no problems. Is there a way to configure it to run with my isp or could a flash it so it will no longer be net locked. thanx for any help

'Network locked'??!

You didn't say your OS but lets see what is happening:

(A) Go into Device Manager and see which port the modem is accessing (the General tab).

Start up HyperTerminal and give the session the name 'test' when asked. On the next screen in Connect Using select the PORT to which the modem is connected to - NOT the modem itself and then press enter twice.

Wait a few seconds and then type

ATZ

and then hit Enter. You should get 'OK'. If not reinstall drivers and / or modem (see 'C' below) and LET ME KNOW. Next get the phone number of your ISP dialup (lets say for this discussion 555-5555). Enter in:

ATDT5555555

and hit Enter (replace 5555555 with the real number). The modem should dial out and connect. AFter it connects hit Enter and you should get a log on screen with the prompt

logon:

type in your logon code and hit Enter. Next you should see:

password:

enter your password and hit Enter. You should get a screen full or 'junk'. Select 'Call', then 'Disconnect' in the menus and shut the program down. If ANY one of those don't show up EXACTLY as I just said let me know.

(B)Go into Dial-Up Networking, right click on the shortcut you use for your ISP and left click on Properties. In Connect Using select the 56K modem you are having trouble with and then press Configure. Click on the Options tab and check Bring up terminal window after dailing. Close up all the windows and start dailing into your ISP.

After the handshaking (if successful) a black box will appear. You may have to press Enter to get a prompt, which is usually Login. Enter your login name here and press Enter. Next you will get the prompt Password. Enter your password and press Enter. You should now see 'garbled' text come on the screen - press Continue and then see if you can browse.

(C) Update the driver with the newest GENERIC Conexant drivers, called HXFSETUP.EXE. You can get the Win98 version at:

or the WinXp version at:

you have to join, but membership is free. I have the Win98 version myself if you wish me to send it to you directly. :)

Use the generic version - it seems simplier, and that seems to also mean more stable. I didn't have a problem with the system (office computer) that I used it in. Your mileage may vary...

P.S. - forgot to mention that with Winmodems many problems are caused by IRQ conflicts. What is your system configuration? Your mileage may vary...

Thanx Dinosnake I have windows 98 it still starts dialling and when it asks for the user name it hangs up and i've checked the device manager and there are no conflicts. If i try my old 33,6 on the same port it connects successfully. But i didn't mention last time is that my isp uses a software dialer its a program i had to download from my isps website rather than using dial up networking which would make life easier.I've tried dial up networking with my old modem and got the measage check user name and password my new 56k did'nt get that far before hanging up.

Then it is probably incorrect initialization strings. See if the software dailer has a setup screen for the modem's initialization strings and select a simplier string. It is probably defaulting to a 3com USRobotic / high-end Hayes init string which the modem is having trouble with. If is does not have a initialization string setup then see if you can change the type of the modem - maybe from 'Hayes compatible' to 'Generic" (or similiar change if possible). You are looking for a simple ATZ init command to start with.

You could also try putting in a ATZ in the modem's Extra Settings window in the Advanced section of the modem's Property page - this could clear out the configuration that the init string is setting the modem to and use a simplier init profile.

Try updating the driver for the modem - it may add or change init string support (as it is a Winmodem all functions are in the software driver).

If you could set up a test - call into a friend's ISP using HyperTerminal, or connect with that friend's computer using HyperTerminal - you could check to see if it is indeed just a handshaking incompatibility between your modem and the ISP's. We need to call SOMEBODY else with that modem to see if it handshakes properly and then holds the connection.

Try updating the drivers first, however. Your mileage may vary...

You may have to change a setting having to do with requires authentication or bringing up a manual sign on screen. Different ISP's have different settings they want you to use. Your ISP may be able to advise you how to set it up. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back