Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash video playback in authorware ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonWMC

Programmer
Dec 2, 2002
GB
Hi

I have created a flash file that contains mostly video. When i put it into authorware i lose loads of quality. The sound (a wav) isn't in sync with the visual (m2v). Yet in flash and in a browser it is fine !
If i save the flash as an avi it is a bit better but still loses quality.

Anyone got any ideas as to what i may be doing wrong ???

cheers people !

A couple of questions - do you have Direct to Screen enabled for the Flash? Is the Flash file imported or linked?

The most optimum I have found is Direct to Screen and the flash file is within the Authorware file - not linked.

Cheers!

Yeah, it is a bit better 'direct to screen' and not linked.
But still not as good as it is as a stand alone swf.

thanx

The other thing that can have a big impact on performance (besides enabling Direct to Screen, is whether you use the Flash Asset Xtra or ActiveX to play the Flash file. There are some benefits to both, I won't get too into that, but playback using the ActiveX method should give better performance than using the Flash Asset Xtra is easier to use, and means that a user doesn't need the Flash player installed on their system, but basically it is the *.x32 pretending to be the Flash player on their system, playing through Authorware so performance isn't as good. Using the ActiveX uses the same control that the browser uses for playback--there is still a layer in between (you need to have the ActiveX.x32 to enable Authorware to talk to the Flash control, but performance is better. Oh one other thing is that some of the actions and things are only possible with the ActiveX method--FS commands and the Load Movie action for example. Drawback is that it is more difficult to use and the user's system needs to have the Flash Player ActiveX control installed (not such a big deal if you believe Macromedia's claims that 98% of web users have it installed).

Finally, you might want to consider playing the vidoe directly in Authorware instead of in a Flash file--video support is finally native in Authorware 6.5 but there are other ways too (DirectMedia Xtra, etc). Just something to consider if you haven't already.

steve

In the end, i gave up with flash. I used an avi and built the rest direct in authorware. Something to remember though !

thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back