Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceRing

Vendor
Jan 13, 2012
US
I just installed a refurb Flash 2.0.02 on a CICS 6.1 and got the following responses:

AA -- not allowed
Business Open? -- not allowed
Answer Lines? -- not allowed
Gen. Del. mbox Y or N -- not allowed

A couple of years ago I discovered, with the info from Tek-Tips (sorry, forgot which tech) that the new batteries I soldered in were the wrong ones. They have to be the ones used for the CICS and MICS, NOT the ones used for the 616 and 824. I did change them, but I now I am having this problem. The Flash cabinet is a 2.something, I am not on site and forgot the exact version.

Is there any way it could be the power supply? I know that I have had some really random wierd things happen when there is a defective power supply. Like the systems come up, but just don't work properly.

Help!!

What happens when you press AA after logging into F983?
Same error "not allowed" or looks normal?
If same error then see if the letters VML is on the software card, this means light software which only has mailboxes.

Edit: I thought you posted all choices under F982 but now I see you posted a little of each which is even more proof you have a Lite.

That tech was me last August

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

That second reply sounds like more trouble than it's worth! It is wierd, it does NOT say VML, just VM 2.0.02.
So it has nothing to do with the battery, or power supply, it is just a Lite, it sounds like. This is only the 2nd time I have ever ran into one of these in a couple of decades.
Did Nortel only make these for a short time? I wonder why they even manufactured these at all?? When would you ever need one of these?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0cdcc153-9b72-4b72-b9cb-912e8bdbfc3e&file=Flash_2.0.02sw.pdf
They were made near the end.
It was cheaper to have it as mailboxes only.
You would need use it as I described above with the built in AA/CCR of the CICS or some sites all have their own private numbers therefore AA not required.

The part number you show is a legit full version made for USA.

However maybe the cabinet may have had VML in it before.
To remove the disease the VML impregnated try:
-short the cap with a 100 ohm resistor for 30 seconds
or
-do a Reinstall, while "Resetting" unplug power, put in a 1.7 software, power up, do Reinstall then swap to your 2.0.02 and Reinstall.

Wait for others to reply/confirm

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Does it matter what s.w. version my CICS is when I do this??

Has to be a reinstall using a software that does not prompt for feature range during config.

1.7 or lower.

Marv ccna

MooreTel, I was told the KSU s.w. had to be below 6.1 to perform this REINSTALL.
You do not concur, it sounds like?

Compatibility should only be thought out when installing the system at site so that the vmail works proper.

The REINSTALL is done on the Vmail so the KSU does not care or interfere.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Good, because the spare CICS I have in the shop are both 7.1.
And yes,my supplier told me that I could not use them to do this REINSTALL.

Thanks for the info, I will try it this wkend.

Shows on compatibility chart you need 2.0 flash s/w for 7.1. & 1.7 for 3.0 and below.

So back to square one. Can I perform an install on the Flash using a 7.1 CICS and 1.7 Flash software to upgrade it to 2.0? Sorry, need clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back