Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash Player for win98se that works like Adobe 10.0 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerman1

Technical User
Nov 11, 2010
US
Greetings all! I'm new to this forum, but not to the world of older computers. I have a 10yr old computer that I'm using currently for email and surfing (safely) on the internet at home. I'm running 933mhz Pent and 512meg of ram and it works rather well for what it is. I subscribe to the old school of I don't need the greatest and latest just to do what I want do. Any way to the point, my company personal web site has updated to a fancier web format and they require Adobe flash player 10.0 or later to even get to the log in page. I haven't found anything I can use on the home box that will let me in the web site. I'm using the last FireFox that works with win98se. Really up grading to a later O/S isn't what I'd like to do. I have numerous boxes that I can update to at least win2k, but would rather not. Any help would be appreciated, I may be pushed a little toward the future even if I don't want to. Thanks!
Greg

It is possible to run Opera 10.63 with Flash Plugin 9.0.283.0 on Windows98SE, enough to run BBCiplayer, and some recent Flash demo apps (When you have a spare half hour, try "Windows Doors" by Archawn here:
I have just checked this out on a VMware Player virtual Win98SE machine with 256Mb RAM, without problems on my Ubuntu laptop.

The flash installer for 10.0 will not proceed when the OS check reveals 98 or ME. I wonder if it could be spoofed to believe the host machine was Win2k or later?

If you were prepared to use a light modern Linux distro, like Peppermint Linux, you could run Firefox 3.6 with Flash 10, for instance, from a flash USB drive, or from a live CD.
Indeed, with an installed Linux OS, you could run Windows98SE seamlessly as a VMware virtual machine on the hardware you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back