Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash MX Scrollbar Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdrake

Programmer
Jul 11, 2003
GB
I've got a dynamic textbox which loads text from an external .txt file and am trying to add a vertical scrollbar.

When i drag the scrollbar component onto the textbox it doesnt seem to snap to it.

I've linked the instance names as required in the property inspector and also tried using the following actionscript:

[load text]
my_scroll.setScrollTarget("target");
my_scroll.setEnable(true); ///just in case!

When i run the movie the scrollbar is dulled like its not recognising there is any text present?

Where am i going wrong!?!?!

Many thanks......:)

looks like you are doing nothing wrong at all

as long as both have instance names and the actionscript is in the frame actions then it will work

if you still cant get it stick the fla up

i'm using the "loadVariables" command to import the text -- will that be causing a problem?

Cheers.... :)

no how the text is loaded wont make a difference but you will be better as a matter of course to always use loadvars

i have a download you can take to bits to see how its all done

the scrollbar thing is in the misc section

thanks guys ... i'll give it a try now :)

Hi guys, I am having similar problems. The scrollbar works when I test it on level0, but not when I launch from level0 to level3. I wonder if we are not both working with a path problem? Did you find an answer cjdrake? Macromedia has a techbulliten that talks about the scrollbar and provides an FLA. I don't have the macromedia link, but I have the zipped file. You can download it at You might find some clues there. For example, I learned not to use a variable for the dynamic text box.

I didnt get my scrollbars to work in the end--- i came to a different solution using buttons and the following actionscipt:

on(press){
text.scroll = text.scroll - 4;
} // for scrolling up

on(press){
text.scroll = text.scroll + 4;
} // for scrolling down

A different solution is still a solution!! And this is simple to implement.

Hope this helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back