Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentucky

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
My mgr. uses windows 2000. I have mac os x 10.4. When I plug his flash drive into my keyboard it does not show up on my screen (or any where else). When these are used in windows, are they not compatible with macs?

I swap flash drives between win2k and my mac all the time with no difficulty.

The one thing that comes to mind is that he formatted the flash drive with NTFS or something like that - Macs will read FAT32 formatted drives but they do not read NTFS formatted drives.

Later Mac OS can read NTFS; it just cannot write to it.

You might also try plugging the thing directly into the machine rather than the keyboard - just to see if it works.

I've occasionally had usb things not work right when plugged into the keyboard but work ok plugged into the machine. Don't know why, possibly not enough power available at the keyboard.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I swap them between Win98, Win2K, MacOS 8.x, and MacOS 9.x and have no problems either.

mmerlinn

"Political correctness is the BADGE of a COWARD!"

I get this problem all the time with Thumbdrives, and my Ipod shuffle.

The Mac rarely sees them, I normally have to restart the machine. When I eject it after that, the machine won't see it again.

Wish I could get an answer - have been trying to solve it since I got the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back