Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLASH DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

Status
Not open for further replies.

techtobe

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
US
I purchased a Corsair Flash Voyager 1GB device. When I plug it into the computer I get a message that the device is unrecognizable.Win XP Pro Svc Pk 2. I have the high speed enabled within the BIOS. I have the latest BIOS from Intel.I have updated the drivers, updated the chipset drivers, uninstalled the USB controllers and ports. When Windows restarts it finds and loads the drivers. I still get the same message. BUT.. if I disable the high speed controller the device is recognized immediately. I then get the message that "this USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a high speed USB 2.0 port".

I have tried this flash drive at work without a problem. I have tried it on another computer (old) at home and it works without a problem. I have even since purchasing the drive rebuilt the computer in question. Any ideas how I can get this to work at high speed???

Sounds a silly question, but you do actually have USB2 (not 1.1) hardware present and fitted?

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

If it works at high speed in other computers then your mobo is either faulty or in some way incompatible with the USB 2.0 device.

I do have USB 2 hardware. I was hoping that there was something that I was missing. It may be that the Mobo is defective. Thanks for the reponses.

I have about 10 thumb drives, some usb1 and some usb2, and my mobo usb connectors are usb2. One of these 10 drives just wont work in my pc but it will work in others. I gave up trying to get it to work. Its just an off-brand 128 mb anyway, but i would like to know why as well. I dont think i will every find out, lol.

So i am wondering if you have tried other usb2 devices in your pc?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Just bought one at Comp USA with similar problems. The sad truth is that there are quite a few dogs out there.

The off-brand was a gift. I dont reccommend buying any off-brand usb thumb drives. These seem to be the ones that give the most problems. And with the low prices today is not worth it.

Usb 2.0 devices will work in motherboards or usb1 pci cards but they will only work at the lower spped.
Actually i think some are usb 1.0 and most are usb 1.1, but either way the usb2.0 will still work. Except of course the dogs that just wont work at all.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back