Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash causes 100% CPU Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonguy

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
My Specs:
HP DV4 Laptop
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
AMD Turion X2 64 processor
3GB RAM
AMD HD3200 Graphics.

So I can't seem to find any useful information regarding my issue with Flash player and I haven't been able to find a fix.

When I go to a site like youtube or something which is all flash video the first couple videos I watch will work flawlessly but when I watch more my CPU usage immediately goes to 90-100 % which maxes it out and the video starts to become choppy and it loads very slow and skips and freezes the system up for short periods of time. In order to correct this I have to restart my laptop and then it will work fine and then its dejavu over and over. This will happen in every single browser. Also quite often flash will not work at all, if I try to go to youtube to watch a video the browser will hang and freeze. I must restart to correct this.

I just don't understand why this is happening. I have all my video drivers and flash up to date aswell as windows updates. HP doesn't know how to help me fix the problem either.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Have you looked at other programs that might be clashing with Flash?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Which process is using all the CPU?

Windows Vista's Task Manager: The harder-to-detect changes

Is there a problem with your Video Card? Is it about to die?

Is there any difference if you boot into "Enable Low Resolution Video (640 X 480):" via F8 and the Safe Mode options?

Have you tested with another user at logon instead of your normal user?

How long has this been going on? Is there any point in trying System Restore, probably not if it has been a problem for months?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

See how many unsigned drivers you have running on your machine. This article will guide you on the instructions but all you have to do is type sigverif in Start Run.

How to identify unsigned drivers using sigverif utility in Windows Vista (or Win 7)

Have you tried the System File Checker program?

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

Is there any chance that your machine may be overheating?

If you type the word Maintenance in the Start Menu SEARCH box it will pull up about 4 programs that might be worth running to check out your machine. You may even like to have a look at the Event Viewer (that's always fun).

Event Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back