Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash Bios / Without Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtgurkin

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
I have a computer that is having BIOS issues. I need to flash the updated bios from dell DME521-010111.EXE The problem is that the computer won't boot, but the program won't run to flash the bios without windows xp.

Can someone please provide assistance?

Most if not all BIOS allow you to flash from the BIOS. Are you able to get to the BIOS settings?

Also, I'd look to see if there is a bootable version of your flash program.

Another option would be, I suppose, to boot from a Windows PE disk. There are a lot of tutorials on the web to tell you how to basically load Windows XP from a CD.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Hmm, not the best terminology I used in the last one. When I say there are a lot of tutorials that tell how to load Windows.... I mean something more like: How to make a bootable Windows CD... something like that.. Basically a Live CD of Windows, or a variant of Windows which runs 100% from your CD drive, like many Linux distros do.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I second the BIOS option. If it is in your BIOS, all you need is a USB-key with the flash file on it.

Manufacturers lately have been putting that in the BIOS on some boards, and I say it's about darn time.

The DME521-010111.EXE file is a container, self-extracting exe, that creates the FLASH software and the BIOS file

or it creates a FLOPPY for flashing...

with that FLOPPY (or with the files transferred to a bootable floppy disk) you can boot and flash the BIOS...

since we do not know what model you have, these instructions are just generalized...

excerpt from How to Update the BIOS on a Dell Inspiron
You may have to unzip the file if it comes in a compressed state. (Just double click on it to unzip.) Each BIOS update will differ somewhat but generally it will instruct you how to insert a floppy disk to create a bootable BIOS disk, and then instruct you to shut down the computer and boot it up with the BIOS disk in the drive. This will cause the computer to boot from the floppy disk that will install the new BIOS update.

I would like to add, you have not told us what issue you are having, e.g. what BIOS issue are you having in the first place?

as FLASHING the BIOS may not be what you need to begin with!

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back