Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLASH BIOS BACK TO DEFAULT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzaqman2005

Technical User
Jul 12, 2005
US
Is it possible to flash my BIOs back to the original factory default?

I am assuming you are familiar with flashing because you say you want to take it back to the origional factory defaults.

Probably the easyest way is to turn your power off at the socket and remove the battery on your motherboard for about 10 seconds, then replace it. That should remove the flash update and the origional defaults that are hard burnt into the CMOS chip should take over. The other way is by turning your pc off and there should be a jumper (see your mobo documentation for location) and take it from post 1-2 to 2-3 then place the jumper back to posts 1-2. That will do the same as well. Remember, you will have to set up your bios all over again once you boot your pc.

muzaqman2005,

Is the system still bootable?

Did you make a backup of the original bios <bin file> to disk?

What make and model mobo do you have?

What bios mfg and version are you using?

There may be a secondary rom on your board in which you can restore from.

Flashing the BIOS back to original factory default implies that the BIOS has been updated at some point. There would generally be no other reason to flash a BIOS. Just removing the power, taking the battery out or moving the CLR CMOS jumper will NOT I'm afraid remove any flashed BIOS updates. All that will do is clear any user settable parameters within the current version of the BIOS.

If you have the relevant flash programme for your BIOS and a copy of the original BIOS file on disk, then there's no reason why you can't reset it back to the original.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I appologise, I misread the question. Yes it is but only if you have the origional BIOS that you should have saved during your BIOS update. Just load that one as if it were another update.
Thanks GOAOZ, was thinking along a different line. Huge day :)

When you "flashed" the BIOS (from floppy), the first thing the flash program does is to backup the original BIOS parameters (in case of power failure, or something). Check the floppy to see if there is a backup, so you can revert back to the original.

No problem NorthsideIT ;)

Micker 377, I think it may depend upon the flash programme as to whether or not a copy of the existing BIOS is taken before the upgrade is flashed. I have many flash programmes here which don't automatically make a backup!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Having no backup of your BIOS isnt a good thing as this situation is one of the many reasons we tell people to backup befor doing a flash or upgrade or make any significant change to your system. You surely would have been given the option to make a backup of your BIOS prior to flashing your BIOS with a newer version. Contact the place where you got your MOBO from and see if they may have a copy of it. Failing that, contact your MOBO manufacturer and see if you can obtain the origional from them.
Hope this helps ;)

How old is you motherboard? Lately, all the newer boards I've seen have plug in BIOS chips. If yours is, see if one is available from the manufacturer of the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back