Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash 4 will not boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastalComm

Technical User
Jun 29, 2002
US
I've tried Feature 903, and Feature 983 both says inactive feature. Connected to Flash with serial connection, monitored boot process with hyperterminal. Here are the tests.

NVRam tests: Passes
B84 tests: Passes
Program ROM: Fails Alarm code 01e
Base Alarm 01e. Corrupt program ROM

After the Base Alarm the boot process halts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CoastalComm

Power down, count to 10, power up. WAIT a good five minutes before you try any codes. Then do a F903 First.

If that's inactive then try F983. If both are still inactive then power down, unscrew the cover and look at the circuit board. Down towards the bottom left hand side you will find a capacitor. Flip the board over and you'll see two metal leads sticking up. Lay your screw driver across the two metal leads. Insure a good connection. Hang onto it for a few seconds.

Then put everything back together again. Power up. Give the Flash a good 5 minutes to run then try the F903.

MRoberts
mroberts@americaii.com

Thanks for the response. I've tried shorting out that capacitor, to no avail. Still coming up with inactive feature, on both Feature 903 and Feature 983.

Failing that ROM test does not sound good, but try reseating the Flash cart, and also your 4 port expansion card. Make sure power is off before removing either card.

MarvO said it

Thanks MarvO, I've tried both those procedures also, still to no avail......This doesn't sound good does it........

Thanks,
CoastalComm

your pcmcia card is bad... It can fail at various points in the boot process. It is too bad you shorted the capacitor because all your mailbox programming and AA greetings would have still been in the flash. You can install a "new-to-this-flash" pcmcia, either over or under current software version and programming will be retained. (IE. current software 2.0.10. you can install a 1.9.00 and have the system come up and retain mailbox and AA config)

Westcoaster, Thanks for the info, I thought that's what it might be. I appreciate all the responses that I've received. This forum is awesome.

CoastalComm

I just had this same problem. Spent hours on it. Called my tech support and he had me use Feature **xftest and test and delete any keys that were active. Rebooted and 5 minutes later worked like a charm. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back