Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flash 4 voicemail port usage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

softwareguy

Programmer
Feb 21, 2002
US
I was told that Flash only ties up a port while a greeting is playing. Is this true? Is there any way to make sure that all 4 ports are working? I've only got 2 intercom's set up, will I need more if more than 2 internal users will be accessing Flash? Thanks in advance!

Flash comes in two formats: Standard 24Mbox, 2Port, and expanded 48Mbox, and 4Port. Each two ports takes up one station pair. You can tell which is which by looking to see if the expansion daughter board has been installed under the cover on the face of the Flash.

Hope this helps

PhM

Figured that. I've got 2 ports in the flash box tied to 2 stations. Just wanted to know about usage & whether there was an easy way to test that they're all working.

Call vmdn from 4 different sets on the system. Check out the Reports chapter in the Set Up and Operation Guide for usage reports.
DueE

The ports are in use when someone hits the auto attendant, when someone`s leaving a message, or when someone`s checking a message. (or doing voice mail programming) You could have many users in the voice mail, as they wouldn`t all be checking messages at the same time. If you only have 2 sets installed, you`ll have to get 2 outside callers to hit your AA, and have your 2 sets access their mailbox, all at the same time. Four sets and you can do what DueE said. Remember too what Phone Man said about the daughterboard. A 2 port flash could have 2 stations wired, (why someone would wire the second one if its not a 4 port is beyond me, but you never know) but the second one will only work if you have that daughterboard installed. You`ll see the number 4 on the daughterboard when you open the cover if its a 4 port. A 2 on it and its just a blank cover.

Schlum

Thanks again guys. I do have a #4 on the daughterboard. Tried going in on 4 sets & was able to. They do eventually time out though. :) I've heard that Nortel is more efficient with its port usage than out old Lucent VM was. So was curious to see if anyone knew the details.

BTW, I was afraid to even change the greeting on our Lucent box, with the Nortel stuff I was able to get the whole thing up & running in about 5 or 6 hours. Out of the box without ever seeing it before. Hmm, I wonder whose is easier to use......

Glad to hear you are having such good experiences with the Norstar. If you have access to you maintenance area, you can view the port usage visually.

PhM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back