Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flare Install question on fc5600 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPKORN

Technical User
Jan 10, 2005
US
Hello guys,

I have a an fc5600 which in the process of movinf the machine apparently it passed by some sort of magnetic field and all data is corrupted on all drives. How ever I have a friend that works for a company that provides support for this kind of products and he provided me with a bin file which is the flare code for my prom revision.

My question is the following.

How do I get the flare on the disk so that I can boot up the system? I think he mentioned something baout dd but I am not sure.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

If the Clariion boots up with no faults on the SP's, then flare is not the problem. However, to install flare, you need Navisphere. It is a menu selection 'install software' in the Navisphere Manager or Supervisor screen. You must turn off and zero out write caching before you begin the process. I want to emphasize that reloading flare will not cure any data corruption that you may have.

It may be that all you need to do is unbind and rebind the disks and reload from backup to clear up the problem you're experiencing. Unbinding the disks will cause complete data loss on the lun you unbind and you will need to restore from a backup.
I'd suggest using Navisphere to check the sp error logs so that you can better define the problem for us.

update...

After talking to my moving company here is really what happened. After they took the Unit to pack it on their offices, they took all the drives out and when they arrived at new location they unpacked drives and placed them in array. Once the machine arrived with drives to our office, we booted the machine but only to find out that it would not boot. Meaning that we dont know the order of the drives. So basically we have a backup of all the data but, no matter in what order we put the drives it will stay here.

Copyright (c) CLARiiON Storage Systems, Inc. 1991 - 1999
Disk Array Subsystem Controller
Model FC5600C
Firmware Revision 03.21 - Aug 13,1999

ABCDEabFabcdefgGabHabcIJKLabMabNOPabcQabc

Verifying Firmware Revision...

Initializing Back End Fibre...

And it will hunt for the Flare code but it just does not find it. We tried all kinds of combinations on the drives with no success.

My question is the following. Do I need to format the drives connecting via LLC without using the storage processors and then use navisphere to drop the BIN or how would I go to do it?

Thanks A lot for your help....

POPKORN

That makes more sense than the huge magnetic field story. There should have been no need for the moving company to remove drives. Seems to me they're liable for restoring the machine to it's pre-move condition. I would ask them to pay EMC to come out and restore the Clariion. But, if that is not possible...

Flare cannot be upgraded unless you can boot flare. A conundrum of sorts. Flare resides on DPE disks 0, 1 and 2. Remove all the disks from the DPE and insert one disk into slot 0 and power up. If the sp's don't boot, power down and replace disk 0 with the next disk. Continue until you find a disk with flare on it. Once you have one drive that boots, inserting drives into slots 1 and 2 will autobuild the remaining flare drives.

If you cannot get the Clariion to boot using that procedure, then you will need a 'seed' drive that contains the 5600c flare code. EMC can provide one or perhaps someone you know with a 5600c Clariion.

Once you get booted up again, everything will need to be unbound and rebound and the backup restored.

sorry I took so long but I ws trying drive by drive on slot 0. I tried going drive by drive and it did not worked, it stays hanged on the same stage and slot 0 keeps blinking looking for the flare code. However , I do have the the bin file. Is there any way to drop that image into the drive? its a 2 meg file. A
friend that works at EMC told me that thats all I need but I only see him only when something goes wrong in our datacenter with an emc unit and i dont have any direct way to get a hold of him so I cant ask him. Any input would be appreciated.

POPKORN

I tested the procedure on a spare 5600. You actually need to have two drives installed. Put one in slot 0 and another in slot 1. When you have the right drive in, you'll see them flash as flare is replicated to the drive in slot 1. After that is done, you should be able to install all the drives and procede with the unbind/bind.

I may have been a bit unclear. The drive you use to fill slot one does not need to be a flare drive. If you have a spare drive to fill that slot, that would be sufficient. Then just cycle the drives thru slot 0 until you get flare loaded up.

OK, I really want to thank Maultier for all his advice, the good news is that I got the to the point were is says booting flare. Now it just hangs saying booting flare. Is this the part were I have to break the boot process and create all the arrays again and then drop the backup tapes into the new created array?

once again Thanks Maultier

What you're looking for is something that says transferring to application mode. If you are at that point, you just need to bring up Navi and see what's happening on the array. If not, then, you need to make sure that we have all three flare drives built and the dpe fully populated with disks. Flare will not rebuild unless the array is power cycled.

Hi maultier,

I just want to thank you for helping me out so much in getting this array working, I dont think I could of managed everything the way I did without your knowledge.

Thank you so much for your time and effort and It just feels so good to come to this place and find people so helpfull as you are. I am sure the community appreciates what you do and I thank you for it.

I took your advise and went one by one until I actually found one. Once I found one it was just a matter of getting the other two to copy the flare to the other drives. I actually fixed both of them to an extent thanks to you.

How ever, I am having some issues getting all the drives in place. I have a backup of all data so I am not affraid of loosing it. I recently purchased some newer drives to replace the old and tired drives in the array. Most of the drives are full height and the one I purchased are half height. The code is on 3 full height drives and it works like a charm. I am trying to replace all the drives in the array with newer half height drives. All the drives are seagate and they all are 18G drives but, they are mixed firmware and they don't seem to be compatible with the system. Is there a way to change the firmware on these drives. They are all the same models just different firmware. Some drives it likes, some it just says not compatible the cli.

Any ideas if at is possible for these drives to get new firmware? That way they all match and I might have a better chance at getting htem to work in the array.

Thanks in advance.

Array firmware (flare) is more likely the issue. The last revision on that model was 5.11.69. with prom 3.23. You can find the rev in Navisphere by right clicking on the sp and clicking on the properties selection. If the bin file you received from your friend is a newer revision, I'd try uprev'g the code to see if the disks are then supported. As a precaustion, I would have a spare flare code drive sitting on the shelf for emergency purposes so that you have a way to get the clariion working again if something goes awry. Upgrading flare is usually an uneventful experience but one can never be too cautious. Having a spare laying about is a good practice in any case.

You were right, I am all set. I am able to group and create arrays with no problems and it seems to be working fine. How ever, navi is not working for me, I installed the new version 6.0 and it has my admin account.computer name on the config at the rate of 9600.
Ehen I tryo to use the web interface, It gives me several options but the only one that makes scense id to use serial port as my 5600C does not have a network port.
Thats why I had to do everything via command line via serial connection directly to the SP. Now, Is there any way to use navi on this old system. If there is, are there any good docs on configuring this to use serial or any other way as I am not sure on how to connect using navi to this unit.

I am using an emuled LP7000 card, link is operational. I can see the node WWN, device ID ok, IEEE addy ok, port WWN ok, Port symbolic name is blank, port CD id is 1, Port type private Loop, class of service 3, no fabric name and it has \\.\Scsi2: as os device name running on windows 2003 ent. Lun is 0 and no Hierarchical LUN #. All this info comes from HBAnywere util. The only problem is that target capacity is unavailable and same thing for brlock lenght. But when i go into serial mode in the cli I can get the following information.

fcli> h
Addressing model: LUN
Target initiated negotiation: ENABLED
Substitute busy for qfull: DISABLED
Mode page 8: DISABLED
Recovered error log reporting: DISABLED
Allow non-mirrored cache: DISABLED
Auto trespass: DISABLED
Auto format: DISABLED
Raid Optimization: Mixed LUNs
Raid-3 Write Buffering: DISABLED
Loop Failover: ENABLED
Private Loop Enable: DISABLED
Discover Mode: Auto
Discovery Needed: NO
Single-Loop Failed: NO
Fibre-Loop Failed: NO
The scsi3 option: ENABLED

fcli> di -l
Fru Vendor Model Rev. Serial no. Capacity
==== ======== ================ ==== ============ =========
0. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK842608 0x2141301
1. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK754693 0x2141301
2. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK834621 0x2141301
3. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK795670 0x2141301
4. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK823383 0x2141301
5. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK832069 0x2141301
6. SEAGATE ST118202 CLAR18 350C LK627323 0x2141301
7. SEAGATE ST318203 CLAR18 AV44 LRD19680 0x2141301
8. SEAGATE ST318203 CLAR18 AV44 LR936857 0x2141301
9. SEAGATE ST318203 CLAR18 AV44 LRD22396 0x2141301

fcli> w
Current world wide name : 20.0.0.60.16.3b.ae.e4

fcli> ls
Logical Unit Summary:

Raid Dflt. Unit
LUN Group Owner Type Capacity Cache State Frus
--- ----- ----- ------ -------- ----- ------- ------------------
0 0 SP-A RAID-0 115.8 GB --- RDY 0 1 2 3 4 5 6

Technically speaking I should be able to see this drive on the windows box.

fcli> o
Current system type is 3
fcli> sp
SP B LOOP ID 0x5 (5.)
PROM Revision: 3.21 Microcode Revision: 05.11.08
Statistics Logging: ENABLED PEER SP: PRESENT
Disk Write Caching: DISABLED R3 Write Buffering: DISABLED
WRITE CACHE: DISABLED READ CACHE: ENABLED
RAID OPTIMIZED: Mixed LUNs SP TYPE: DENALI
A: TOTAL 6224
B: DP 00% TOTAL 6224 DIRTY 0000
U: DP 00% TOTAL 0000
Requests Complete: 96
SPS A: --
SPS B: --

Press any key to continue....

slot : 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | PSA PSB FAN
DPE-state: RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY RDY UNB UNB UNB | OK OK OK OK
Unit/Group : U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 U00 ** ** ** |

Thats as much info as I can give you about the system, If you have any questions feel free to ask.

objectives

1. if possible, get navi working.

2. Get emulex card and or OS to see the array.

Thanks in advance, I just dont know were to go from here.

POPKORN

OK, I got the OS to see one of the arrays, I had made the mistake to place the cable on SP-a when default is SP-b and thats why it was not visible on the emulex nor os.

The issue now is this one....

fcli> ls
Logical Unit Summary:

Raid Dflt. Unit
0 0 SP-B RAID-0 49.6 GB --- ENA 0 1 2
1 1 SP-B RAID-3 66.2 GB --- RDY* 3 4 5 6 8

How can I enable the raid 3?

Performance Statistics for Disk Module 0_3
Description: 18 GB SCSI Disk
Drive Vendor: SEAGATE
Drive Model Info: ST118202 CLAR18
Drive Firmware: 350C
Drive Serial #: LK795670
Drive Capacity: 0x2141301 sectors
User Space: 0x2114301 sectors
Zeroed_Mark: 0xFFFFFFFF
Additional Info 1: DG118028197

Raid Group (hex): 0x01
Number of units: 1

SCSI Address: ID 20 LUN 01
Unit Number (hex): 0x01
Unit Type: RAID-3 Group (Parallel Access Array)
State: BOUND BUT NOT ASSIGNED
Maximum Rebuild Time: 0 Hours
Read Requests: 0
Write Requests: 0
Kbytes Read: 0

I guess I am missing the part of binding the raid 3??

I am also trying to add the DAE's but the sp wont see the drives for some reason.

any suggestions..

Well, The situation has improved. Here si the new status of my configurations.

fcli> ls
Logical Unit Summary:

Raid Dflt. Unit
0 0 SP-B RAID-0 49.6 GB --- ENA 0 1 2
1 1 SP-B RAID-5 82.7 GB RW- ENA 3 4 5 6 7 8
2 2 SP-B HotSpare 16.5 GB --- ENA 9

I am pretty much were I need to be. I still dont know what do I needed to do to enable that raid 3 but, I guess I will stick with the raid 5. However, The only 2 issues remaining are that the fc5600 sp can only see 10 drives and does not see any of the dae's connected to it and the second one is I cannot get navi to work.

any suggestions on these 2 things.

Thanks in advance.

POPKORN

Sorry, but I've been pretty busy this week.
Raid 3 can't be mixed with other raid types if I remember correctly. I'll try to confirm that but I believe it to be the case. Raid 3 is used for streaming data.. video and the like. Raid 5 is more transaction oriented.'
There is no reason that you should not be seeing the attached DAE. Perhaps the DAE does not have the correct LCC cards. (Perhaps it was a JBOD chassis?). Give me the part number from the card and I can tell you if it's correct. The LCC card is the card that has the short 9-pin cable that connects the DAE chassis to the SP (in the DPE chassis).
Navi- I assume that Navi is installed on the machine that is connected to array. You will need to go to the host tab, right click and set up your access there. You will need to put in your user name and computer name. ie: Popkorn@myserver You'll need admin priviledges.
Check your services and make sure Navi Agent is running as well.

The way that I have it seup, The raid 5 and the raid 0 are on spa. nothing on spb. All the other 10 Dae's are jbods. The LLC cards do not have the cpu or memory on them. The serial number for one of the LLC cards is sf40001202491.

What I do notice is that the fc5600 LLC cards are only EXP. Some of the DAE's have EXP and PRI and others have EXP only.

The way it is connected right now is from emulex card to SPB on the top SP and the DAE is connected to the EXP LLC B to the EXP port on th DAE. I think you mentioned " to the SP (in the DPE chassis)." does that mean like to SPB or SPA on the lower or redundant SP?

My guess is that I have the cables connected incorrectly but i do not wish to experiment and connect something were it does not belong and damage equipment so I will wait patiently for your reply. I understand you have a job and that you respond here when you get the time but, your effort is really appreciated. I rather wait for your response thatn to risk damaging my equipment. BY the way, I dont know if this make any difference and I apologize for not mention it before but this unit is a Clariion fc5600C but its branded StorageTek.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU THANK YOU. :)

C:\Program Files\EMC\Navisphere Agent\config
clarDescr
clarContact
poll 60
baud 9600
eventlog 2048
user administrator@digital2

C:\Program Files\EMC\Navisphere CLI>NaviCLI.exe getagent -node

Agent Rev: 6.6.0 (3.8)
This agent currently is not managing any device

C:\Program Files\EMC\ManagementUI\6.6.0.3.6\WebContent\start.htm

Here when I use the web interface via serial, I get the unable to find security information.

I am pasting all this so that you have a more concrete idea of the problem.

Thanks in advance

OK, progress report :)

for some reason I had to reboot the FC5600C to get the other DAE to be recognized. I hope I dont have to do the same thing for all the others. So that end of the problem is resolved somewhat. I will be adding all the other DAE's Today and see what happens. I am still unable to get navi working. Remember this is a FC5600 that does not have a network port in the back. The only way might be via serial and I have pasted some info on the above posts about the config. Even though I have had to find most of the stuff the hard way by experimenting I have high hopes on finishing this project. I really want to thank you for all your efforts.

Let me know the end result with RAID3 and about navi on this unit. It might just be that navi cannot be used on this unit but, I dont know.

anyway thanks a lot for your help and I will wait for your response.

POPKORN

So, you must be connecting the ext to pri connector to get the DAE's on line. That is the way it should be.

I have not used Navi 6 on the FC arrays. But, it should work if the agent and host are configured properly. The agent should talk to the array via the fiber channel. And Navi should then get its info from the agent. I'll try it out next week. You should not have to connect to the array serially.

ok, I will wait for your response.

Here is the prosperity of your advise..

fcli> ls
Logical Unit Summary:

Raid Dflt. Unit
0 0 SP-B RAID-0 49.6 GB RW- ENA 0 1 2
1 1 SP-B RAID-5 82.7 GB RW- ENA 3 4 5 6 7 8
2 2 SP-B HotSpare 16.5 GB --- ENA 9
3 3 SP-B RAID-5 148.8 GB RW- ENA 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

I added one and today I am adding 10 more. It will have a total of 120 18G drives. Now I need to find an SPS to enable cache as I dont have one and figure out why navi is not working.

Thanks in advance... I will wait for your response

Popkorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back