Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flakey smart array 5i

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnzbesko

Technical User
Aug 15, 2007
US
Back in September ('07), there were two posts and some discussion about the smart array 5i in Proliant DL380's that prevent cold re-booting.

Well, I had to cold boot yesterday and sure enough, the smart array 5i does not start up. I guess I'll just wait a few days until it "magically" starts to initialize again- just as it has several times before. Does anyone have fresh advice? The fact that it works after a few days suggests that there might be some capacitor that takes a while to drain? Or something else that requires a few days to lose something or initialize?

The 5i controllers for some time were junk. I would suggest getting a new one (Ebay), or a different model. I cannot remember a good replacement for the 5i.
Someone posted a good replacement somewhere here in Tek-Tips...

Burt

641 is probably your best bet since that is for internal drives and can take a BBWC.
532 would also work but doesn't have a lot of cache RAM and you can't add BBWC to it.

Neill

Thank you for your suggestions. I found a replacement 5i controller on ebay for about $80 (incl shipping) and it works fine (so far.)

I searched for the 641 and found it to be a little more expensive and the 532 to be cheaper. I'll be referring to this thread should a future need arise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back