Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flag disk sector as bad??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg53

Programmer
Feb 1, 2003
US
Getting messages that I have two "BAD" spots on my hard drive, it identifies both spots.

I'm guessing that there is a command or utility that will allow me to flag these sectors as bad so they will not be accessed again.

It is an old server vintage 1996 and is runnig SCO UNIX

Thanks in advance!

badtrk or scsibadtrk I believe. But I think there was a patch for SCSI if this is 4.2. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If you are getting bad sectors you should replace the hard drive as soon as possible because that is usually an indication that the drive is going bad.

Thanks - it looks as if badtrk is what I will try, it will be one night this week and I will let you know how it goes.

The drive as well as the whole server is being replaced soon, I just need a few more weeks.

Thanks again!

You shouldn't say things like that....it may be listening and decide to fail completely before you are ready. They are very sensitive when they know they are not wanted.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back