Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fixup esmtp problems in version 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2002
IE
Hi,

Wondering if anyone else is seeing any issues with esmtp inspection in version 7. Specifically, we get errors from qmail servers delivering mail to our site (running sendmaill 8.13.3. The mail appears to get delivered but, qmail returns a mail delivery failure to the sender, with the error below. Don't know enough about it to know whether the problem is with qmail or the pix. Any input welcome.

Thanks,

Barry

*********** Error Message **************

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sendingsite.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<localuser@mydomain.com>:
my.mail.server.ip failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: *********************220 *****************************

Sounds like qmail doesn't like the banner displayed by the Pix smtp fixup. To be honest, the Pix smtp fixup causes many problems for a lot of mail servers without really providing any smtp security benefits.

Turn off the fixup for smtp and your problems should go away.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Thanks Chris.

I have already disabled it, but wasn't sure whether this was related to the (new) esmtp inspection available in v7 or whether the old regular smpt inspection in 6.x also caused problems. Only recently installed the PIX, so have no experience using 6.x.

Cheers,

Barry

It's always been crap.

:)

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back