Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixing the MS worm in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

allis

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
Okay, when and how do you disable system restore?
Then do you re-enable it?

Also, how do you get to safe mode?

Would restoring to last known good configuration solve this problem of the infection?????

Please help

Right click on My Computer, there is a System Restore tab, check the box that says "Turn off System Restore on all drives" before you scan/edit/reboot, and turn it back on only AFTER you've made sure you're clean. As for safe mode, hit F8 after the bios post screen, but before the XP loading screen. I'm not sure if restoring an old config would work as the file would still be on your computer and you'd probably be vulnerable to the worm again.

-----
It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to sit there with a dumb look on your face.
I have fun. Usualy at my own expense, but I have fun regardless

System Restore can be accessed through a right-click, My Computer, Properties, Advanced.

I recommend however going through Start, Help and Support.

If you were infected, you restore point for yesterday are likely suspect. Remove them. After a thorough cleaning you want to go back into Help and Support and manually set a restore point.

Do not forget to enable a firewall, even the native XP ICF to prevent reinfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back