Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIXING LOST FILE ASSOCIATIONS in WINXP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

odiumragnarok

Vendor
Dec 21, 2002
US
I accidentally associated a file extension with a wrong application. What I want is to not have that file associated with any program. So I am trying to do what the following steps I found somewhere, but the problem is that windows XP apparently doesn't have a WINFILE.EXE file that windows98 had. Is there another file management application in/for windows XP? Thanks

FIXING LOST FILE ASSOCIATIONS

If you accidentally associate a particular file extension with the wrong application, don't try to fix it from within Windows Explorer's File types dialog box--there's no way to remove a single extension from a registered file type without deleting the entire entry and starting over.

Instead, you can click on the Start button, launch the Run dialog box by typing winfile and pressing [Enter].

Once File Manager opens, pull down the File menu and select the Associate Command.

When the Associate dialog box appears, type the extension that you want to get rid of in the Files with Extension text box.

When you do, you'll see the errant file association appear in the Associate With text box.

Yes, this is easy to fix. Go into Windows explorer, then go to Tools -> Folder Options and activate the File Types tab.
Then scroll down to the appropriate file extension, highlight it and click Delete.

John

Thanks, guys. I did solve the problem. I had to add the file extension first (.wsz, winamp skin file) and then delete it. Thanks.

I have a similar problem. In the list box showing the file types, I have a (None) for the extension. This is on several dozen entries. Is there any type of repair process or tool to fix this?

Thanks

This is normal. There are many predefined file extensions without predefined specified handlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back