Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIXED Win2kAS (eval) FIC PA 2013 VIA Apollo MVP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximilln

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
There could be more problems with this install. We could be in a nuclear war.

Win2kAS will not install on this mobo when booted from the Win2kAS CD. I tried every possible combination of BIOSs, boot.ini settings, and partition layout. Win2kAS is also very particular about the BIOS options which are available. Use FIC defaults, ensure that all cacheing options are disabled and disable IDE controller UDMA (lowest performance).

Use your favorite partitioning software to configure the HD with at least two partitions. Remove all add-on cards except the video card. Install Win98SE on one partition. Use the FIC CD to install all of the motherboard patches to Win98SE. Reboot to Win98SE. Insert the Win2kAS CD and begin the installation from within Win98SE. Choose a new installation of Win2kAS since Win98SE cannot be upgraded to 2kAS. In the advanced options enable the option to select the HD partition during the install. The system will reboot, continue the install on the second partition, reboot and finish the install.

Now to put all the cards back in and enable some reasonable performance options in the BIOS.

Darn. Win2kAS installed over my Win98. I knew something was fishy when it didn't ask me what partition to install on during the setup. I don't need to worry about putting all the cards back in any time soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back