Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fixed vs floating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlvdk

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
hi,

can any one provide me sufficient information or good references to find the differences between fixed point arithmetic and floating point arithmetic. I would like to know the information regarding power also. Which of these is better for low power devices?

I also need help in using Xilinx IP core generators. Suppose I want to do design a multiplier for low power what type of options shouls I use.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

As far as low power goes a lot of it is dependant on your device type.

however there are things you do/avoid. Like keeping your clock speed down, and for the same reason trying to create logic that has minimal logic toggling.

A pdf at Xilinx describes tips specifically for their coolrunner device. It may not all be applicable in general but some of it will be.

You can also try looking at other info from Altera/Xilinx by searching their knowledge bases for "low power". Most FPGA vendors have some good info and its easy to find.

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back