Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed Asset WriteOff-Subsidiary Company Sell Off 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1b2tran3

Technical User
Sep 30, 2008
US
Hi All,

Our company is selling off our subsidiary company. We used SL and MidMonth Convention(15th). There are numerous assets still depreciating left. How do I accelerate the depreciation so that all assets have zero Book value in our Fixed Asset Module? Cutoff date is 12/9/08. I don't what is the rule how the new purchased company determine these assets. Obviously when they bought the company as a whole these assets are included. Your help and suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to deprec and do mass retire. But my problem is with the GL accumulated depreciation bal vs. FAS accum depr bal. Doesn't match because I depreciate to 12/9/08 and FAS pick up entire month. Both balance doesn't match. So I just used the GL balance & manually input the number as follow:
DR CR
Accum Dep $xxx
Gain on Asset Disposal $xxx
Equip $xxx

All fixed assets has zero bal.
Is that the way to do it. I'm still puzzled why FAS vs GL balance doesn't match. So odds.....

Woops....my JE was wrong.....

Equip(orig Cost) 357k
Accum Depr 200k
NBV 157K

I was told to dispose these assets???

DR CR
What do I Debit???
Accum Depre 200K
Equip 357K
Gain on Sale 157K

Did you run the GL Posting routine after the retirements in Fixed Assets? That's when the GL transactions are created to reflect the Fixed Assets subledger activity.

Separately form that, I do not believe there is any way to have GP's Fixed Assets module 'prorate' the depreciation for a partial month for you.

So you may need to do this in 2 steps:
1. Get the assets 'out' of the Fixed Assets module by retiring them, they should be depreciated through 11/30.

2. Make a GL adjustment to reflect whatever it is that needs to be shown in the GL. I can't tell you what accounts or amounts to debit - that's something that should be answered by your CPA. If they do, indeed need to be depreciated for a partial month, that would need to be a reconciling item.

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2008
Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back