Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fix PP placement int a mirrored VG with 3 disks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifo

MIS
May 9, 2002
HU
Hi!

I have an AIX node with 3 disks in the rootvg (same size). I would need to store data mirrored, so that losing 1 disk can be survived. Also for some reason, I need to eat up ALL of the space available. (waiting for new disk capacity with eager).

The issue is that the present volumes had been created simply mirrored, thus not using the 3 disks well distributed.

Now I know that the logical volumes should have been created like

mklv -y volumename -e x -s y .....

so that instructing mklv to use the maximum number of PV-s in the operation, disabling superstrict PP mirror placement.

My question is that is there a method to reorganize PP placement without recreating the logical volumes?

I tried to change LV attributes using chdev (referring -e x anf -s y ) and then running reorgvg, but it did not do the job for me. Do you have any better idea?

--Trifo

Well, I have been using migratepv several times before but then I only had pairs of disks to be replaced.

Now I have 3 PV-s and a quite big LV with a misconfigured mirror. Something like this:

Code:
     hdisk1       hdisk2       hdisk3
LP1: PP1(mirror1) PP1(mirror2) -
LP2: PP2(mirror1) PP2(mirror2) -
LP3: PP3(mirror1) PP3(mirror2) -

But I want it shomehow like this:
Code:
     hdisk1       hdisk2       hdisk3
LP1: PP1(mirror1) PP1(mirror2) -
LP2: -            PP2(mirror1) PP2(mirror2)
LP3: PP3(mirror1) -            PP3(mirror2)
so that every LP is mirrored in 2 copies, and every PP of an LV mirror copy is evenly distributed among the 3 disks.

Can migratepv do this?

--Trifo

migratelp I'd think, but that is PPcopy per PPcopy, so it will need some scripting...

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks! I always get surprised on how handy commands AIX has. The scripring knowledge is available, so I will be able to do the work now.

Thanks again

--Trifo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back