Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fix: Ghost 2003 hangs up XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

locogringo

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
US
I thought I'd post this because I can't be the only person this has happened too. I've used Ghost 2003 on Win2K PC without problems. I tried it with an XP-sp2 PC and it hangs. I think it's time to upgrade.

Issue:
Norton Ghost locks up WinXP when trying to create an image. I had to use Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot to Dos (PC Dos b/c it's still using Ghost's virtual partiton) How do you get out of PC Dos and back into Windows?

Attempts to fix:
[thumbsdown]#1: do what it says: "type ghreboot to return to Windows" didn't work.

[thumbsdown]#2: I read that you 'MUST' run ghreboot.exe from a floppy (my PC didn't come with a floppy, had to install one)-didn't work either, still hangs.

Solution: Use FDISK [thumbsup]
1) Boot using either a Bootable CD or Floppy, (I think it has to be able to recognize NTFS partitions, so Win98 bootdisk or better)
2) Run FDISK and set your WinXP partition to be ACTIVE. Reboot and you should be good to go.

Note: I've read other posts of users trying to restore or run a fix on the MBR, which they later said whipped out everything. I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing.

- Hope this helps

Had to post this, even though I look stupid now. [3eyes] The reason Ghost2K3 was freezing up was b/c the PC I was trying to image had a SATA drive. (and I didn't run LiveUpdate on Ghost to get the updates, which correct this issue) My MIS Dept. spec'd these PC's from our Vendor, I didn't bother to check. Only noticed after i opened it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back