Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fix for Missing Volume Control Icon & Unstable Sound Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfinger

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
After installing Windows "High-Priority Updates," KB960225 & KB958960, my computer rebooted with no volume icon in the lower right corner of the computer screen. The sound drivers, too, though present on the hard drive, had to be reinstalled via Device Manager's "Update Driver" procedure each and every time the system rebooted [i.e., Start Button\Settings\Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager...].

After several days of relentless effort trying desperately to get the sound system back on line, I finally succeeded via the following 5-step procedure:

1.) Set the Device Manager to "Show Hidden Devices" via [Menu\View].
2.) Go down the expanded list of devices, deleting any duplicate or grayed-out driver/component icons, with the sole exception of those listed under "Sound, video, and game controllers," as they will be dealt with later in step #4, below.
3.) If forced to reboot, do so, then continue the procedure outlined in step #2, above, until only non-grayed-out icons remain. (Again, overlook the "Sound, video, and game controllers" icons until step #4.)
4.) Update each and every driver/component listed under the "Sound, video..." section by allowing the update procedure to download new drivers/components from Microsoft's Web site ONLY. (A few of the drivers/components do not provide for an update, hence they will have to be ignored.)
5.) Finally, open up the Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Multimedia" icon. Remove and REPLACE the check mark from the "Show volume control on the task bar" option then "Apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back