Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fix for display overscan on fresh linux install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2002
US
Hey,

I just installed SUSE linux 10.1 on a Dell GX270. THe install went sweetly, but when it came up, the X window system is overscanning the monitor. That is, it is using too high of a resolution and refresh rate, so the monitor can't display it.

I can boot to the Failsafe mode and login as root. How can I configure the X window system to use a supportable resolution and refresh rate from the command line?

Thanks!!!

You should be able to start in runlevel 3 and use YaST in the ncurses mode to reconfigure your X windows resolution.

If you use the GRUB bootloader, you can indicate the desired runlevel by pressing e to edit the boot configuration (if GRUB is configured to allow you to do so) and appending the desired runlevel (e.g. 3 at the end of the boot command):
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-5 ro root=/dev/hda9 3
Then press Enter to exit edit mode.
Then press b to boot with the edited boot command.

If you installed Lilo, just type 'linux 3' and you will boot to command window login (runlevel 3).

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back