Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fishy Problems running under Limited User WINXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsfii

Programmer
Sep 14, 2004
US
I have a program that has worked for a very long time and I found that for some reason now, when I run it on windows XP under a limited user account, when I try to access a dataset w/ a table it will not allow me. Works fine as an admin user, but what permissions do I need to give this limited user to allow the program to open/edit/close a dataset? HELP!?

For a simple solution, have you tried XP's runas?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Well I need a global solution really, this is a program that goes out to 1,000's of customers and I can't have them using runas.

I am trying to figure out how to allow access on a regular user account so that I can open a TTable. Anyone ever opened a Table under windows xp as a limited user? I'm sure it can be done, just not sure what I'm suppose to be allowing here. I find it strange that I can read/write a file in some folder, but I can't open a database table file?!

SOLVED!

I figured it out, to have access to database functions on a windows system under a limited user account you must have the ability to run the BDE. Well in my application I was using a paradox table and it turns out I needed access to the paradox config file which sat at c:\PDOXUSRS.NET.

I didnt want to grant access for this limited user to all of the c drive, so I used the BDE Administrator and change the value for configurations\drivers\native\paradox\NET DIR so that the file would be stored at a more private directory where I could give that user full read/write access.

Works splendid now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back