Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First time using InDesign, need help with page numbering and TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe1981

Technical User
Dec 15, 2009
HR
Hello!

My company just started using the InDesign CS4 package, and I ran into some problems I can't seem to get right.

First let me try to explain how the documents I create look like:

The book consists of 6 or 7 chapters.
The design of pages in all chapters stays more or less the same.
- In the upper right corner the title of the chapter is positioned – on all pages
- In the upper left corner the title of the paragraph is positioned – on all pages
- On the left side of the page, components that are described on the page are listed – on all pages
- Page numbering in the lower right corner. Example of an page number: 4-27 (where 4 indicates the chapter number, and the 27 indicates the page number). All chapter star counting pages from 1.

Doing this I ran onto this problems:

1. Can't seem to get the page numbering right. How do I create this style of page numbers, and how do I define that all chapter should start counting pages from 1? The complete page number in this form (both with chapter number and page number) must also be shown in the table of contents.
2. The table of contents should list components in this order: CHAPTER TITLE, PARAGRAPH TITLE, LIST OF COMPONENTS. I noticed the order isn't right for some pages. The list of components is listed before the paragraph title?
3. Since the titles sometimes get repeated through pages, i duplicated the styles, so one gets used for titles that need to be drawn to the TOC, and the other on titles that gets repeated so it won't find it's place in the TOC. Can this be done some other way? (Maybe somehow defining the repeated title must not be in the TOC…..)

Thank you for helping in advance! :)

I can help with some of this. In the Pages panel, click on the contextual menu, and choose "Numbering and Section Options". You'll have to forego sections (each chapter will be its own section). Put the number of the chapter and a hyphen or en dash in the sections prefix, and click on "Include Prefix When Numbering Pages". Also, just click on "Start Page Numbering At:" and put the first page number of that chapter in the field.

As for part two, your Chapter Title should be level 1, Paragraph Title Level 2, and components level 3.

If you do a quick search, it appears that the way you are doing TOC's in part 3 is the only way, barring scripting it.

Greg

Thx for replieing.

Still strugleing with the part 1. Hope this will work. My first try wasn't very successful. Gonna keep trying, hope it'll work.

About the part 3, I kinda thought this is the case, doesn't matter, some other way wouldn't make it any faster anyway i guess.

And about the part 2, the problem is the fact that it IS defined like you described it. Maybe the program gets confused because the TITLE 1 is positioned behind the TITLE 2!? Weird.....

Thx once more! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back