Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First time setting up a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayse

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2008
US
Hi and let me apologize in advance for my ignorance in this subject. I'm sure there is a step by step method for doing this but I can't find it.

I recently set up a new server with Windows 2003 Server. We want to allow remote users to RDP directly to a specific workstation on our domain. How do I do this?

Thanks.

Either through a vpn or forward UDP port 3389 in the edge router/firewall

Burt

Hey thanks for writing Burt. I actually should have included a little more info than what I originally posted. I am already able to RDP to the server through port 3390.

My problem is getting the user to RDP to their individual workstation rather than just into the server itself. I believe I may need to set up a VPN or Term Serv to get it to work but I'm not sure how exactly to do this....thus the questions :)

Thanks

Does anyone have a job aid or something similar that I can read and gain understanding about what I need to be doing? How I go about setting a VPN up and allowing remote users to access specific workstations through our server?

i just bought this item:

and im having issues configuring the vpn and accessing it from outside. where could i find these steps, it seems like netgear is making me jump through hoops to figure this out, no manual that steps you through it, and support wants to charge to ask them a question. HEEELP!!!

i configured the firewall and network settings, but vpn is troubling me. i want a basic ssl setup so users can get on the network and then RDP to their own machines at work..

Jayse this looks like the item you want, but good luck figuring it out, im basically in the same boat as you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.

Perhaps you can post a solution to help the original poster?

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back