Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First time setting up a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceHigh1234

Instructor
Dec 21, 2004
US
I just took over a network, and we have 25 users at the main office, and will have three remote users who will need to access a netowkr drive as well as a client/server accounting program at a new remote office that is opening. I was thinking of setting up a win2k VPN server here at the main office. We've got a nuvox t1 line going in to a cisco 2950 switch. I just got a Symantec gateway 360 firewall that I was going to put between the t1 and the switch. Do I want to put the vpn server computer befoe the firewall?
i.e. t1 => VPN => firewall => switch
And I read the microsoft KB article about setting up a VPN server, and I've got a handle on that, but what do I need to to from the Active Directory side of things? should I join the VPN server to the network before I make it a vpn server, or after, or should I not add it as a domain member at all, since it is going to just be routing the VPN packets on towards the switch or what? Please help, I'm a little lost.

I'm pretty sure the setup would be like so T1 >> Firewall >> Vpn >> switch.

You have to configure the firewall's DMZ so all internet traffic for your WAN's IP address points to the VPN server. Then the VPN server will handle the VPN connections.

Hope this helps.

**Okay, have you tried rebooting the machine?**

Does your firewall do port forwarding? This way the VPN ports get forwarded to the appropriate machine. I would install a second nic that only uses the VPN ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back