Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First-time Router Upgrade - is this procedure correct? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2003
US
It's the first time I have been asked to upgrade the IOS on our two 7200 router's.
This is my plan:

For Router #1
1) Backup current IOS.
2) Backup current router config
3) I have to delete the current filename on slot0 because it doesn't have enough space to hold the current and new image
4) copy tftp slot0
5) change the boot system command to reflect the new image
6) Verify the config register is 0x2102
7) Shutdown the interface (so it fails over to router2), save config, and then type the reload command.

Once router one is complete and running upgrade the router two using steps 1,2, 4 (change to disk0. It has enough space for both IOS files), 5-7(shutting down the intf after save so that it fails over to router1).

Is this procedure correct or am I missing something?

You must squeeze flash:slot0 or
squeeze flash:disk0

from the
router#

prompt (priveleged executive prompt) after deleting and before tftp'ing the new one.

Otherwise, you're all set to go. My tired eyes may have missed something else, but until you squeeze the flash, you will still have no room on it for the new image.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Do I have to run the squeeze command on router2 for disk0, even if it has more than enough free space to hold the new image?

You do not have to run the squeeze command if you have enough space . But you will not recover any file space when you delete a file until you do .

Okay, thanks. I will add that to my list.

Is there anything else I am missing?

3) I have to delete the current filename on slot0 because it doesn't have enough space to hold the current and new image

This is what I was referring to...

/

Building dependency tree

Ok, so after I delete the file on router1 I need to run the squeeze command before copying over the new file.

Does it matter if there is another file on slot0 when I run the squeeze command?

No---squeeze will only get rid of deleted files, not all of them...

/

Building dependency tree

Out of curiousity, why not buy a BIGGER CF card and put both IOS's on it and just change the boot file? That way, if you have to back out, you just revert the boot commands and reload.

if you go to the 7200 series router section on the cisco support website - they tell you how to do this...just a few clicks away.

Worse case you screw it up and have the router down without following cisco's documentation.

m5runner - because I didn't think to ask my boss that.

kbing - I did that and went to another site and got the same type of instructions. I just wanted to hear from people who had done this before.

Everything went okay as both routers were updated successfully.

You should try my recommendation. I just upgraded 32 ACE load balancers with that same tactic. I had to roll one back and it only took a few minutes after swapping around the boot file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back