Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First-time as Contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwsstins

MIS
Aug 10, 2004
US
I have about 10 years of experience as an IT pro. I'm employed full-time/perm and, for the first time, I am looking to get some part-time telecommuting contract work. Have an offer on the table and I've submitted my proposed hourly rate based on my experience and FT salary. I've been upfront about my lack of consultant exp., but I am unsure about how to gain access to their systems. Do consultants generally have their own equipment (i.e. applications involved, laptop, DBMS software, etc) or is it expected that they will use the client's tools, licenses, etc? Any info appreciated.

It all depends on type of work you will do.

Real consultants will normally use their own equipment for all that can be done with it, but will still connect to client's network for access.
Some clients will still insist that all work on their network is done on their own equipment, so on that case they are responsible for all their licensing.

Licenses related to their own software will normally be dealt with the client. hard to say as way too many variations.

Contrators on the other hand will normally only be allowed to use the client's equipment. And on those obviously all licensing is on client's hands.

Now the above applies to "normal" type of clients. Clients with security requirements will most likely never allow your equipment to ever be connected to their networks. and if allowed, you will most likely be required to encrypt it using their choice of software.

regardless of that you may be required to have personal insurance related to your work. Again depending on what you do and what country you are in

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Frederico has it right - the definitive answer is "It depends". I have one client that stipulates in the contract that I will supply my own equipment. Another client required me to sign for one of their notebooks that is configured with their standard load. I'm sure there are others that would be willing to go either way.

When possible, I prefer to use one of the client's machines, simply because it helps eliminate the problem of developing something that works on your machine but doesn't on theirs.

Thank you both for your insight. This is a small company with no standards in place for this situation, but it sounds like using their equipment would probably be the way to go. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back