Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First steps - ping router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasgow

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2001
GB
Our LAN accesses the Internet using an Alcatel Speedtouch router. We now want to be able to access our LAN remotely (e.g. from home) and expect to use Terminal Services and Remote Desktop. However, our initial 'stabs in the dark' have been unsuccessful.

As a first step, how can we verify that our router is 'visible' across the Internet? If we ping the static IP address, this doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The Alcatel modem that I have runs on a PPPoE service with dynamic IPs. In order to use terminal services/remote desktop onto my home pc, I run a little client software that will match my dynamic IP with an address. It's a free service offered by Dyndns and there's also No-IP that offers this. Now from remote, instead of entering the IP address of my modem (which I can't remember and MIGHT change from time to time), I just enter an url that I can easily remember ie: myhomecomputer.dyndns.org !

This could prove to be a useful tip, thanks akwong. However, it doesn't help me get over that first hurdle.

Running XP (Prof) on workstation and 2000 Server on server, I can use remote desktop ok to get control of server - presumably all is well because this operates locally. When I try to specify the IP address of the router, it cannot connect (using direct IP address or Dyndns). As far as I know all the appropriate mapping & port forwarding has been implemented on the router (but confess that this is a possible weak point).

I was hoping to verify that I could at least communicate in some shape or form with the router over the internet but any suggestions as to what changes could be made to resolve the ultimate problem (remote access to server over internet) would be welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back