Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

first post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanute

Technical User
Aug 17, 2002
US
I just started working on my CCNA, I picked up Odom's 640-607 book, and hope that I can ask some questions as I go.

First off, I'm on the first after chaper quiz, and the question is:

Can the auxiliary port be used for anything besides remote modem access to the router? If so, what other purpose can it serve?

I found a remote reference to "dial backup", I would assume this means backing up the IOS and config files remotely via TFTP perhaps?

Yes, really the Aux port can be used for all the same purposes as the Console port, with the added ability of remote access. The reason is that the Aux port supports flow control (needed for remote access), and the console port does not. Hope this helps.... Let me know...

Burke

Dial Backup, as I understand it, usually refers to a backup link via ISDN, which is unused when everything is working okay. If your main link (T1, Frame Relay, etc.) goes down for some reason, then the router dials up over the ISDN link and continues routing traffic over this "Backup" link. Another term you'll see used in this context is Dial on Demand Routing or DDR - ie the router dials only when there is a demand for routing.

Thanks guys, that was very helpful. I look forward to getting more questions answered in the future! ;)

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back