Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First Line of Field only

Status
Not open for further replies.

computek353

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
US
I need formula that will pull only the first line of a notes field. The line are seperated by a single returns in the DB.

is this a memo field or a text field? Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Sorry should have mention that in the first place. It is a memo field.

normally you could use the split() function to split the firld and make a stringvar array, then address the first element of the array. However you cannot use memo fields in formulas so I am at a loss on how to do this. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Do you think it would cause any problems to just remove the can grow option on the field and size it so only the first line is displayed? I should only have about 30 - 40 records on this report.

Do you think it would cause any problems to just remove the can grow option on the field and size it so that only the first line is displayed? I should only have about 30 - 40 records on this report.

I think that is a pretty good workaround. Have you tried it? Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
714-348-0964
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Yea I just did and it seems to work ok. I think it would really slow the report down if I had more records but as it is I think it will work great.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back