Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firmware upgrade for 46xx IP Phones - Ver. 2.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassMonger57

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2004
US
My 4620SW phone is dead after upgrading firmware:

I found an Avaya article this morning about a firmware upgrade for the 46xx series IP phones. I am currently using 2.0.1 on my 15 4620SW phones, and wanted to upgrade to 2.1.1 in hopes that it would fix my weird voice quality issues.

I downloaded the firmware update, extracted the files to my Manager directory (after backing up the existing files) and rebooted one phone. It found the upgrade, and installed it. After the installation, the phone would reboot constantly, never becoming functional. It's rebooting, and trying to install version 2.1.1 everytime. It did this more than 20 times before I just unplugged the phone. I tried to downgrade the firmware by restoring the TFTP directory, but the phone refuses to load any other file.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Tan

Suggest you stick to officially supported firmware, or this is the sort of thing you will run into.

I believe 1.8.2 is the latest supported IP hardphone firmware on IP Office. If anyone knows otherwise feel free to correct me.

Tan you might need to connect that 4620 to a multivantage in order to downgrade it again.

Peter

latest release for IP phones (supported for IPO V2.1):

- The R2.0.1 release for the 4620 and 4620SW.

- The R1.8.2 release for the 4606/4612/4624.
- The R1.8.1 release for the 4602/4602SW.

Ok, that helps some. I thought I *was* using officially supported firmware =(

For future reference, how would I differentiate "supported" and "unsupported" firmware?

One last thing - "connect that 4620 to a multivantage"... I don't think I have access to a multivantage system to do the downgrade. Any other possible solutions using the IPO or software?

OH! So I called Avaya Tech support. The rep told me how to reset the phone (maybe you guys already knew this):

Press the HOLD key one time
Type in the word R-E-S-E-T using the numeric key pad
Press the # key one time

It asks you to confirm the reset, and then the phone reboots, and picks up all new settings.

This worked for me, maybe it can help someone else out there =)

Tan

Cool. I knew about the HOLD reset thing, but it normally only works if the phone is operational. Given your description of the problem it sounded like you were pooched... glad it worked out.

I have a problem with a 4612 Ip phone where it asks for the router address I put it in, 192.168.1.1 and when it reboots it says finding router, which never works then it says bad router? * to program...can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. thanks

If the phone is on the same LAN as the IPO, I allways use the IPO addr. as Router.

Is there a router at 192.168.1.1? Is the phone on the 192.168.1.x subnet? Does the router know how to get packets to the IPO?

More info required.

Peter Sherwood

Morrack Consulting

I have a legitimate reason to want to downgrade the software load on the 4602SW IP Phones, since then I can get my students to practice the upgrade procedure. Otherwise, once the phone is upgraded, it is useless for the procedure, and having an endless supply of them is financially unfeasible. So, does anyone know how to roll back the software load? I tried simply to place the older files on the tftp server, but of course Avaya is not going to make it that simple - I get an "Invalid version" error, and the phone keeps its current load.

Downgrade the IPO, connect the IP handset and then use TFTP to downgrade the files once the phone is working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back